Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book Review: Seraphina

Title: Seraphina
Author: Rachel Hartman
451 pages
Published by: Random House Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

Humans and dragons have been on edge with each other for a long time. Dragons are made out to be heartless, nasty creatures with no remorse  Humans are thought to be worthless pests. When the humans lose their Prince Rufus, who is mysteriously decapitated, sets the humans on their toes. Seraphina, a musician in the palace, gets wrapped up with her country's affairs, which includes the Captain of the Guard, Prince Kiggs.

First of all, I love a good fantasy book with a bad ass heroine. The fact that this book also revolved around dragon told me that I had to read it. Now that I've read it, I'm doing a review on it.

The writing in this book is probably the most confusing I have ever read in a Young adult novel. Honestly, the language was so far out there that it was a little hard to comprehend at times. Either that, or I stayed up too late reading and my mind got a little jumbled.

For this book, I'm not so sure what to make of the plot. It's not random, I'll tell you that. There's nothing that pops out of nowhere so the author can have something to write about. Slowly, suspense is built up until the very end.

The end is something that I have problems with. It came so sudden that I actually sat there thinking, that's it?  I felt like the author realized that this book was going to be really long and wanted to cut off the story as fast as possible. To fans of this book, the extra pages wouldn't have mattered.

Over all, this book got 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend it for band nerds who like dragons, or anyone who likes dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment