Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Book Talk: Buzz Words and Deal Breakers

I've seen this going around on the youtube end of book reviewing, and I felt like this was a good introduction to do for new reviewers like myself. Basically, you just list some key words that make you either snatch up a book and clutch it to your chest in fear someone else will take it, or make you drop in like a hot coal.

Buzz Words
1. Ancient Egypt- I've been in love with Ancient Egypt since the second grade. It was the only thing I found interesting at the time. I read every book in my elementary school's library and then moved onto the public library. I still haven't grown out of it.


2. Mermaids- You might have guessed this if you saw my Nails of the Day #3- Mermaids! post. I explained there that instead of pretending I was a princess, I wanted to be a mermaid. My family and I would migrate somewhere warm and near the beach if we could.


3. Pirates- They're dirty, swear a lot, fight a lot, steal a lot, they talk funny, and they get a crap ton of gold. What's not to like?!

4. Jane Austen- I love her writing, her stories, her personal story. I love everything about her.

5. Bad Ass Heroines- Who doesn't like to read about a chick that can kick some butt?

6. Fairy Tale Retelling- Disney movies were my entire life growing up and I still have a strong attachment to them. Anything that has a similar plot line and feel to it, I will read it.


7. Cafes/coffee shops- I just find that books with a coffee shop as the main setting are really fun to read about.


Deal Breakers

1. Insta-love- I don't like it when characters automatically think they're in love. It's not realistic in real life, and it just seems cheesy in books.

2. Sex Scenes- I don't need to know what you do in bed. Honestly, I'm scared to for an image for this.

3. Snobby girl cliques- When I read, I want to get away from high school, I don't want to read about school drama when I spend the whole day dealing with it already.


4. Vampires- There was a phase where all I read was about vampires, but now I just think it's juvenile and the plots are always so similar and predictable. "He's so mysterious" and "He could kill me, but I love him". It gets old really fast.


6. This is probably the biggest deal breaker for me, Aliens. They terrify me. I used to have nightmares about them creeping in my window when I was a little. With their slotted nostrils and big black eyes, ugh. Gives me chills just thinking about it.


That's all that I can think of. Really, I like to give everything a chance when it comes to reading. Limiting myself to just one genre just seems silly to me when there are so many other books that I might fall in love with.

What are some of your buzz words and deal breakers?

No comments:

Post a Comment