Monday, January 28, 2013

Book Review: Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan starts out with mothers and daughters sitting around and playing an intense game of mah jong. Then it starts to tell how the Joy Luck Club came to exist.

First things first, I gave this four out of five starts. I originally picked it up because I thought it was going to be short and I've been reading anything about China lately. It took me a lot longer than I expected to read this book. Probably because it's so jam-packed with emotion that you just cant take it all in in one sitting. This book goes through all the mothers' hardships as well as the daughters'. Though I enjoyed the mothers' perspective better than the daughter's, I thought it was still really entertaining.

If you're looking for a feel-good book about family, this is not it. It goes through all the challenges every family goes through like the death of a child, marrying the wrong person, divorce, and just plain unhappiness.

This book isn't always sad. Don't let that description fool you. Amy Tan writes in a very optimistic tone that will keep you waiting for a happy ending (which I'm not going to tell you if there is).

Personally, it did get dull at times, but that's to be expected in every book, right? There has to be some bland moments mixed within all the drama. I think it was Amy Tan's writing style that kept me going. Even if you don't like the story line, I think you will have to at least appreciate the writing style. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. The perfect mix between colorful description, dialogue, and inner thoughts. No wonder it was a New York Times best seller.

I couldn't really connect with this book since nothing related to me in this book. That's probably why it didn't stick with me the way I expected it to. Though the writing was fantastic, the story wasn't totally for me. I liked it, but there's nothing I can really say about it.

I suggest this book if you are looking for inspiration for writing, are interested in Chinese culture, want to change your way of thinking, or like family drama.


No comments:

Post a Comment